Verbal aggression is just as damaging as physical aggression. A lot of times, verbal abuse gets over looked because some people feel that it is not as damaging as physical abuse. More people are starting to realize the both types of abuse are just as damaging to a persons mental health. Peg Streep, a contributor writer for Psychology Today, says there are 5 things that everyone should know about verbal aggression:
- The circuitry for physical and emotional pain appears to be the same
- Verbal aggression literally changes the structure of a child's developing brain
- The effect of verbal aggression is greater than the expression of love
- Deliberately inflicted emotional and physical pain hurt more
- Verbal aggression and abuse are internalized
Click here to read more about verbal aggression.