No one ever said a relationship was easy. They take a lot time and a lot of work. Over time you can develop certain habits in your relationship. Sometimes they are good habits and sometimes they are not. Habits are not easy to break. According to Susan Krauss Whitbourne Ph.D., a contributor writer for Psychology Today, a bad relationship habit is "one that continues to occur even though it causes you or your partner distress." Whitbourne also says there are 6 relationship habits you want to try to avoid.
- Wait for your partner to initiate shows of affection - Research shows that most women are more likely to be the ones to show affection in a relationship. This habit is one that can keep you from fulfilling your own needs.
- Argue about the same thing all the time - These are the arguments that just don't seem to get anywhere. Next time you see a similar argument developing, find some time to calmly talk about it and find a solution.
- Take your partner for granted - This is one bad habit that is easy to develop. Although this habit shows that you and your partner can rely on each other it's important to tell each other 'thank you' once in a while.
- Be too serious - Relationships should be fun. There are times to be serious but don't be too serious all of the time.
- Not have a meal together - Sometimes life just gets in the way. We have our daily habits, that sometimes make it impossible for to schedule time together.
- Spend too much time plugged into your devices - Face to face communication is extremely important in a relationship. When you have the time to spend with your partner, put your phone away talk and be present with one another.
Click here to learn how to overcome these bad relationship habits.