In relationships it is important for each partner to be emotionally engaged. When one of the partners is not emotionally engaged, it can be hard to make the relationship work. When you are able to have a deep discussion with someone and feel like you are being heard, things in life will seem so much better. If you feel that your partner is not emotionally engaged there are a few things you can do, according to Barton Goldsmith Ph.D.
- Identify your feelings
- Share your true emotions
- Feel the fire, but don't get burned
- Ask for a response
- Find a safe place where you can vent
- Never assume how someone else feels
- Make the dialogue meaningful
- Accept that you may not feel great afterwards
- Speak how you want to be spoken to
- If you don't get what you need, get help
To learn more about getting your partner emotionally engaged, click here.