For most people the holidays are a time that bring happiness and cheer. For others this season brings on the holiday blues, which can make them dread the holiday season. The first thing the Psychologists want you to know is that the holiday blues and seasonal affective disorder (SAD) are different conditions. According to Simon Rego, PsyD, director of psychology training at the Montefiore Medical Center, "SAD is thought to be due to the lack of sunlight in the winter season. Holiday blues is situational." Here are some ways to enhance your mood during the holiday season.
- Check your expectations to improve your mood
- Plan ahead to avoid bad-mood triggers
- How you appraise the situation can make a big difference
- If you limit your time on Social Media, you may feel better
- Practicing mindfulness can soothe your mood
- Resist the urge to write a holiday script
- You are allowed to say "No, thanks."
Click here to learn more about the holiday blues.