Battling a mental illness is far from easy, and trying to live a "normal" life on top of that can make it even more difficult. Relationships are challenging for anyone, but for those with a mental illness it can be even more difficult. Just because someone is battling a mental illness, doesn't mean that relationship is impossible, it just means there may be more work that needs to be put in on both sides. According to Lindsay Holmes, a contributor writer for the Huffington Post, there are few things you should know if you love someone with a mental illness.
- Mental illness is not something they can just "get over."
- It also doesn't make them "crazy."
- Some days are better than others.
- Their mood isn't because of you
- It's manageable
- Some days they don't feel like fighting it
- There's a negative stereotype associated with their conditions
- Hugs help
- It's OK to ask them questions
- It's physically debilitating
- They appreciate you
Click here to learn more about loving someone with a mental illness.