Mental illness is a topic that a lot of people don't know a lot about. There is a stigma on mental illness, and people develop their views of mental illness based on that. A common mental health stigma is that it's all in the person's head, and if that it's all mind over matter. For some people this may be the case. However, for most people dealing with mental illness this is not the case. Lindsay Holmes, a contributor writer for the Huffington Post, has a list of some scientific studies, that suggest mental illnesses are a biological, physical condition.
- Depression may be caused by inflammation
- Depression may also occur at a molecular level
- Mental illness could be hereditary
- People with anxiety may perceive the world differently
- Schizophrenia may be caused by genetic mutations
- Phobias may occur because of an uncontrollable brain response
- Social anxiety may be a result of high serotonin
- No one asks to have a mental illness
Click here to read the full article on Huffington Post.