PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder, is a mental disorder that many people of heard of but they don't know all of the facts. People who have PTSD have gone through situations that others haven't, and those situations are usually traumatic. Lindsay Holmes, a contributor writer for the Huffington Post, said there are a few things that people should know about PTSD.
- You don't have to be a veteran to have PTSD
- The time it takes for the condition to develop varies
- At its worst, PTSD can lead to suicide
- It's not totally unheard of to have PTSD
- The symptoms are all-consuming
- There's a huge stigma surrounding the condition
- It's not a punchline
- Remedies for PTSD vary depending on the person
- It's not "all in their head"
- The triggers aren't universal
- It's possible to live a healthy, productive life with PTSD
Click here to learn more about PTSD.