Marriage counseling is usually recommended before marriage, and is sometimes needed during the marriage as well. Some couples fear seeking marriage counseling because there is a stigma that if counseling is needed, there is more of a chance of the marriage ending. In some cases, this could be true, but marriage counseling is also known to save many marriages. Couples tend to pick up bad habits from bad role models. Nowadays, couples often struggle about how to have a healthy relationship. For couples seeking marriage counseling, it is important to take into consideration the advice of the counselor and determine how you believe it may work. Here are some things your marriage counselor is thinking but may not be telling you.
- Stop trying to change your partner
- Stop withholding sex
- Don't invite your smartphone into your relationship
- Stop trying to make your spouse look bad
- Don't try to solve all your problems while you're angry
- If you cheated, stop pretending you did nothing wrong
- Don't spend your whole therapy session lying
- If you've decided you want to leave, stop questioning it
Click here to learn more about marriage counseling.