Marriage counseling can be extremely helpful for couples who are experiencing trouble in their relationship. When participating in marriage counseling it is important to understand that there is work to do outside of therapy to support what is discussed and learned in the therapeutic setting. The Huffington Post has some tips to make marriage counseling a success.
- Do some in-depth soul-searching before you begin
- Don't wait too long
- Find a counselor with whom you feel comfortable
- Find out if your counselor has bias toward or against marriage
- Set boundaries with your friends
- Tell your counselor whether you want to stay together or break up
- Know that it is valid to go to therapy if you are 99 percent sure you want to end the relationship
To read more about how to make therapy a success, click here.